Don't Waste $1.50 Anymore
I find it ridiculous that my cellphone service provider charges $1.50 everytime I call the information directory. I suppose one solution is to carry around a miniature phonebook in my car, but this is only applicable if I am in the city I live. When I am traveling, I am not going to hunt down a miniature phonebook for each city. Because I refuse to pay $1.50 (not so much out of principle, but because the costs can add up quickly), I generally call someone I know is at home and have them look up the information on the internet.
Google, has yet again come to the rescue. It has just launched Google Voice Local Search. By calling 1-800-GOOG-411, you receive the same services for FREE. Google's website disclaims that it is temporarily experimental and may not be operative all the time, but you should at least call it first.
I gave the service a shot this morning and was fairly impressed, primarily with the quickness of service. It is automated, so the downside is that if you are not quite sure where you are, then finding the nearest Starbucks could be a bit onerous. But you could always just call the first option and speak to an employee that would have the ability to guide you to the nearest coffee hiatus. Then again, why would you need this for Starbucks, they are on every corner (or at least soon will be).
One other nice perk, if you find the number you are looking for, you have the option of the number delivered in a text message, so you no longer have to hurriedly search for pen and paper. Sure this might cost you 10 cents, but you are saving $1.40 and if you have a media package, you will not incur an additional cost.
Google, has yet again come to the rescue. It has just launched Google Voice Local Search. By calling 1-800-GOOG-411, you receive the same services for FREE. Google's website disclaims that it is temporarily experimental and may not be operative all the time, but you should at least call it first.
I gave the service a shot this morning and was fairly impressed, primarily with the quickness of service. It is automated, so the downside is that if you are not quite sure where you are, then finding the nearest Starbucks could be a bit onerous. But you could always just call the first option and speak to an employee that would have the ability to guide you to the nearest coffee hiatus. Then again, why would you need this for Starbucks, they are on every corner (or at least soon will be).
One other nice perk, if you find the number you are looking for, you have the option of the number delivered in a text message, so you no longer have to hurriedly search for pen and paper. Sure this might cost you 10 cents, but you are saving $1.40 and if you have a media package, you will not incur an additional cost.
Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:
Post a Comment