Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution

Despite his significant contributions to the success of the American Revolution, Nathanael Greene is not commonly known. I remember becoming interested in General Greene while reading "His Excellency: George Washington" by Joseph J. Ellis. Ellis noted Washington wanted Greene to lead the army in the War for Independence in the event that Washington should fall. In my mind, this was a huge statement of confidence.
About the time I was reading "His Excellency," "Washington's General" by Terry Golway was published. I finally got a chance to read it, and the book lived up to my expectations.
The thing I appreciated most about the book was the new insight it provided me of the American Revolution. Greene spent much of his time in the war in the North and the South and as Quartermaster General. These three positions provided a different analysis of the war.
There is little doubt Greene would be considered one of the founding fathers and as commonly known as Hamilton, Jefferson, or Madison had his life not been cut short just after the war. If you are interested in the Revolutionary War, I would recommend this book to you.

No comments:
Post a Comment