Training for a Marathon is like Studying for the LSAT
Training for a marathon is something I have wanted to do for the last few years. Last summer I told my wife that I wanted to run a marathon by the time I turned 26. This past summer, I realized that I had a few months left to accomplish this goal.
The training program I am following was created by Hal Higdon. Hal Higdon is a marvel marathoner. As of 2003, he had run 111 marathons. For his 60th birthday, he decided to run 6 marathons in 6 consecutive weeks, and raise $600,000 for 6 charities. For his 70th birthday, he ran 7 marathons in 7 consecutive weeks, and raised $700,000 for 7 charities. For his 80th birthday he ran 8 marathons over 8 consecutive years, and raised $800,000 for 8 charities. Impressive to say the least. I am hoping I can make one marathon by the time I am 26! And after this morning, I realized I am going to have my work cut out for me.
One of the things I like about Hal's program, is that you have your long run on Saturday. I started with a 6 mile run the first Saturday and I have progressed to 12 as of today. You train during the week, but it is geared towards Saturday morning.
This process reminds me of the LSAT--the admissions test for law school. When I was studying for the LSAT, I would study throughout the week, and then take a practice test Saturday morning. I would try to create the same atmosphere I would be in on the day of the test.
This weekly practice gave me a gauge as to what I could expect the day of the test. The same is true with the Saturday run. Each week I can compare my performance and try to project how I will do the day of the actual race. Both the LSAT and a marathon are tests of endurance. Both give you one shot at achieving your goal, or you have to wait several months before you can try again. The big difference between the two however, is that with the LSAT, you are competing with everyone else in the room. In the marathon, you want everyone to win.

1 comment:
Just one foot in front of the other...
Probably have to cut back on the grandpa's cough syrup too. Good luck.
Post a Comment