Is the Forever Stamp Worth It?

A couple of websites this weekend suggested that the real payoff and value of buying the new "forever stamp" from the United States Postal Service would come in future years when the rate of a first class stamp increased. Obviously, at face value -- no pun intended -- this makes sense. If you buy a forever stamp today for $0.41 and save it until the postage rate increases, you will be sending your letters at a decreased cost. Several of these bloggers, suggested that you buy multiple books of these stamps today and save them for the future, essentially engaging in a hedging transaction (although the risk of value of a stamp is quite minimal).
My first reaction was to be standing at the post office when it opened this morning to buy several books of stamps, but then I thought about the ever present time value of money. The time value of money concept is the foundation of all finance transactions. It lies in tthe simple statement that a dollar is worth more today than it is tomorrow. The decrease in buying power is created by several factors, but the easiest to understand is inflation.
In order to determine whether or not I should buy the stamps, save them, and use them in the future, I decided to do a simple comparison. My analysis was based upon the follow assumptions:
A book of 20 forever stamps costs $8.20. I would buy 10 packets for a total price of $80.20.The rate of inflation is traditionally around 3.5%I could use the same $80.20 for another investment that might generate 6% per year, (this seems to be fair, even though I have one that generates at least a 15% return each year).The cost of a stamp in 2002 (5 years ago) had a face value of $0.37 (the constant dollar amount was $0.21). Given the cost of a stamp increasedIt seemed fair to assume I could hold the stamps for five years, any longer and it might get lost.
What does all of this mean? The simple answer is that if the best investment you can find has a rate of return lower than 3.5%, then buy as many forever stamps as you can and hold them for as long as you can before you use them. But make sure you use them. Of course a United States Government Treasury Bill is notorious for producing this kind of return and is considered to be risk-free, so maybe you should put your money there.
All-in-all, do not change the way you buy your stamps unless you think the rate increase will spike so significantly (say 15%+ each year for several years) to make it worth it. I think this is little more than a marketing ploy. The Washington Post reported that the spokesman for the National Taxpayers Union thinks the forever stamp's demand will greatly exceed supply. I hope not.
I am reminded of one other advantage from my stamp collecting days as a child. Buy the stamp, put it in your stamp collecting book, and keep it in mint condition; you never know if it will be worth something to someone else someday.

1 comment:
We have had similar conversations around our house lately. Jonathan's idea was to take out a loan and buy billions of Forever stamps, then sell them when the price goes up. However, our only real point of action at the post office today was buying a book of 2 cent stamps so we could still use our supply of now outdated 39 cent stamps.
Post a Comment