Ethanol -- Should it be Subsidized? Should it be Used?
I cannot remember the last time John Stossel and 20/20 were projected on my television screen, but tonight my wife and I were winding down the night and there was a discussion on whether ethanol was all it is made out to be. The main guest said the net energy gain was zero. In other words the energy ethanol produces is offset by the amount of energy it takes to process it. I did not get to catch much of the story, so my knowledge is very minimal, but it piqued my interest.
What are the benefits of ethanol? What are the costs? Is it a better option over fuel? Who benefits? Who gains? Is it necessary? Is it a scam? I am looking for more information and will decide whether or not I am a fan of ethanol. I should have done this initially instead of jumping on the bandwagon without knowing who was driving or where it was going.
Of the arguments made, the most interesting was that presidential candidates are only touting the benefits of ethanol because one of the first primaries is in Iowa...the corn capital. I ask you, "Coincidence? I think not."

What are the benefits of ethanol? What are the costs? Is it a better option over fuel? Who benefits? Who gains? Is it necessary? Is it a scam? I am looking for more information and will decide whether or not I am a fan of ethanol. I should have done this initially instead of jumping on the bandwagon without knowing who was driving or where it was going.
Of the arguments made, the most interesting was that presidential candidates are only touting the benefits of ethanol because one of the first primaries is in Iowa...the corn capital. I ask you, "Coincidence? I think not."

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:
Post a Comment