Losing Guilt
No guilt in life, no fear in death—
This is the pow'r of Christ in me
-- words from "In Christ Alone"
Over the last several days, "In Christ Alone" has been my song of choice. I was listening to it today, reflecting on the words, when those quoted above struck a chord in my heart. "No guilt in life, no fear in death." The realization and impact of that realization from what these words actually mean allowed me to taste the freedom of a life in Christ.
It seems to me that the enemy loves to bring guilt into our lives. Guilt renders us ineffective, holding us back from the purposes for which God has created us for -- namely to glorify him. I think part of the ingredients in the miry clay is guilt. Webster says that "mire" is "heavy often deep mud or slush."
I remember times as a kid that I would need to get across a muddy field. By the time I crossed, the mud had so caked onto the bottoms of my shoes that the weight had to have increased what seemed like 40 pounds. It felt awkward and slowing. The guilt of sin does this to our lives. Paul says to "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles." It is Christ's power alone that allows us to remove sin and the guilt it brings.
I hope you find the freedom of Christ and experience anew each day. If you belong to Christ, then it is the only option.

No comments:
Post a Comment