Amazed by Tonight's Debate
I am in the middle of watching the Republican debate in South Carolina on FoxNews. Earlier today I read that Fred Thompson had hinted that he was going to attack Mike Huckabee in the debate, thus piquing my interest. It happened, and I think it happened somewhat blatantly. You should try to watch the video.
Romney, McCain, and Huckabee each had an opportunity to discuss the legacy of Reagan, and whether or not the "Regan Coalition" still existed. Thompson wanted to interject, and he listed off several ways he felt Huckabee differed from Reagan. In my opinion, some of the things he said were true, some were false, but mainly he just seemed to be angry. Thankfully, I thought that Huckabee responded calmly and with dignity.
I have been slightly encouraged by several of the debates thus far, but I am disappointed and a little discouraged by what I saw from several of the candidates tonight. I hope that the candidates decide to treat each other with cordiality and kindness. Are they going to be using this same fruitless anger and mode of attack to those they disagree with if they make it into office?
-------
[After the Debate] From what I have read, most seem to think Thompson won. I guess his response helped him. I disagree. I liked Thompson, but I lost a lot of respect for him tonight. It seemed uncharacteristic.
I am supporting Huckabee, and while I do not agree with every viewpoint of his, I do think Thompson accurately stated Huckabee's record and misstated Huckabee's record.

No comments:
Post a Comment