Launchy

This post is about a relatively simple program I use more often than any other program on my computer. When I first installed it, I had no idea how much I would use it and how much I would like it. It is called Launchy and the idea is relatively simple. By hitting Alt+Spacebar (or any other hotkey you want to assign), a simple bar pops up in the middle of your screen and you can type whatever file, document, or program you want to open and hit enter.
It saves you seconds, but as they say in backpacking, "take care of the ounces, and the pounds will take care of themselves." I get tired of going back and forth between the keyboard and my mouse, so I have found it refreshing in that sense.
Using this program will allow you to clear off your desktop (which will speed the performance of your computer quite a bit) and you will rarely use the "start" button on the bottom left (assuming you use windows). From what I understand, it also works for a Mac, but I do not have one, so I cannot give you my thoughts there.
Some of the other benefits allow you to completely customize it in several ways.
- I can enter all of the information for an email and it will automatically create the email, so all I have to do is hit "send."
- I can add events to my calendar without even looking at the calendar.
- I can pull up bookmarked web pages (or any other webpage) without clicking on the address bar and adding it in.
- I can search through my folders to find a document if I am not quite sure what it is called.
- If I have forgotten where I filed a document, I can type in part of the title and it will find it for me.
Go to lifehacker to learn about several ways you can use it more. To get the initial review and install the program go here.
Just trying to make your life a little easier.

No comments:
Post a Comment