Book Review
I have finished reading five books in the last week and wanted to share my general thoughts with you.
1> "Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough
Fantastic insight into the life and times of Theodore Roosevelt's childhood. I have read "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" and "Theodore Rex"--both by Edmund Morris--and instantly found an admiration for TR. This admiration, coupled with an appreciation for two of McCullough's other books--"1776" and "John Adams"--propelled me to read this book. While I suggest you read Edmund Morris' books on TR first, if they interest you in any way, you should read "Mornings on Horseback." It covers much of the same material, and can seem repetitive, but McCullough goes into greater detail in certain aspects, making it an enjoyable and informative read.
2> "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide" by Hal Higdon
As of 2003, Hal Higdon had run 111 marathons. A well-known author and contributor to Runner's World, he takes you through the ins and outs of running a marathon. I gained valuable experience from this sage.
3> "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway
Classic. The story of bull fighting, Spain, and lost people. Read it, and email my wife for a synopsis as to its meaning. Her insight really aids your understanding of what Hemingway was trying to say.
4> "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway
Another Classic. I should have read this in high school, but faked my way through it. Again, the only thing I know is that it shows a great story of perseverance and endurance. I am still trying to figure out the purpose of this allegory.
5> "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom
This book comes from the same author of "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." "For One More Day" seemed very similar to "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" in that the author is trying to encourage you to look at your life and live it with the understanding of your impact in the world on others and the importance of loving relationships in your life. I consider this a "cute" read. Engaging story but not my favorite read.
Next up, "The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar" by H.W. Brands.

No comments:
Post a Comment