My First Drilling

I am working as a law clerk this summer and although most of my day consists of research and memos, this past week we had the opportunity to visit a drilling site for a potential oil well. I took an oil and gas law class this past year, but until yesterday, the concepts were more theoretical rather than practical. I did not quite realize how much work, money, and steel goes into drilling for an oil well. I was especially amazed at the uncertainty surrounding the possibility of hitting an oil reservoir.
We had a chance to see a bit, walk around on the rig, talk to the "mud logger," and fratenize with the "roughnecks." The geologist and "mud logger" went on and on about gamma rays, neutrons, hydrogen atoms, porosity, and permeability. Apparently, these are all vital to finding a successful oil reservoir.
By far the most impressive aspect of the day was watching them add another pipe to the drill. Each pipe is 32 feet long and could crush a man. This particular well was drilling to a depth of 7000 feet--I cannot even comprehend how far down that is.
If you ever get the opportunity to visit a drilling site, I hope you will take it.

No comments:
Post a Comment